Friday, April 30, 2010

The Exorcist: A Quick Review

"The Exorcist," according to the DVD box is "The Scariest Movie of All Time."  This is probably true, but I suppose it all depends on who you talk to.  I personally love this movie and it's my second favorite horror movie of all time.  It was released in 1973, was directed by William Friedkin, and won the Academy Awards for Best Adapted Screenplay and Sound (it was nominated for 10 in all...including Best Picture).  I'd say it deserved both it's wins.  It stars Ellen Burstyn, Max von Sydow, Jason Miller, Lee J. Cobb, and Linda Blair.  Regan McNeil (Linda Blair) is possessed by at demon.  At first people think it's something psychological, but that ends up being completely wrong.  Her mother, Chris McNeil (Ellen Burstyn) wants to know what's going on so she enlists the help of some priests, Father Damien Karras and Father Lankester Merrin (Jason Miller and Max von Sydow) to exorcise the demon from Regan.  The end result is of course an American movie classic.  This film boasts strong performances by all cast members.  Ellen Burstyn in particular is great in her role of a mother trying to cope with her daughter being possessed and still loving her all through the horrible experience.  She shows a great range of emotions throughout the film and I personally would have given her an Oscar, but maybe that's just me.  Linda Blair was impressive as well, showing the gradual physical and mental change as the demon started gaining more control of her body.  And Max von Sydow is just a fantastic actor and always a pleasure to watch...just thought I would add that in because I love this man.  The score and the dark lighting both effectively add to the dark, disturbing feel of the movie.  Cinematography is another high point of the movie...and this movie has several high points.  The movie looks beautiful...I mean if a horror movie can be described as looking beautiful.  I guess that could be a debatable point.  Great camera angles, tracking shots, which I really love, and several other great work courtesy of the man behind the camera and William Friedkin's directing skills...which are plentiful. The special effects were great as well...you got to love 1970s special effects...I was impressed.  If you like horror movies, then definitely see this.  Everything about it is great and I love raving about my favorite movies.  Everyone needs to experience the pea soup scene at the very least.  Just a heads up, "The Exorcist" is disturbing in parts...mainly a scene involving a crucifix and Regan does indeed swear like a sailor...in her defense she was possessed by a demon at the time.  I guess she couldn't help it.  

-Joseph Sbrilli

No comments:

Post a Comment