Saturday, March 13, 2010

Kill Bill: Volumes 1 and 2: A Quick Review


In late 2003 "Kill Bill: Volume 1" was released.  Early in 2004 "Kill Bill: Volume 2" came out.  Writer-director Quentin Tarantino originally wanted it to be just one movie.  But that would have been too long so he split it up and released them close together.  And the tricky man got people to buy two tickets to what essentially is one movie.  That's why I am reviewing the two movies in one review - even though they are way different.  "Volume 1" has a lot of Samurai action involving swords and such.  This includes blood absolutely spraying everywhere because heads and limbs do in fact come off...and it's quite a geyser of blood.  There also is a horrible anime sequence that got me in a really bad mood because I personally hate anime with a burning passion...but that might just be me.  That scene was my least favorite out of both movies.  "Volume 2" on the other hand has a lot more dialogue and the plot is further explained and such.  I personally liked this one better...for me, anyway, there was a little too much Samurai action in the first one...it got pretty tiring at times.  Quentin Tarantino is fantastic at writing and fleshing out characters and such.  The second one also had a few scenes filmed in black and white...which I really enjoyed since I love black and white videography...and it fit well in certain scenes.  Both films have fantastic cinematography.  It's stunning, the camera shots that were caught on film are visually extremely engrossing and appealing - basically what I have come to expect from Quentin Tarantino.  The movie stars Uma Thurman as "The Bride." She's an assassin, she was pregnant, and she's got a list of people to kill.  Which I guess makes sense if you're an assassin because they did try to kill you.  That's the really simplified plot.  The rest of the cast includes David Carradine as "Bill," Vivica A. Fox, Lucy Lui, and other who play assassins and such.  There are tons of flashbacks in both parts.  Quentin Taratino realizes that sometimes a movie playing out chronology is just really boring and normal.  I, of course, got massively confused a couple times during it.  But that was all my fault, not Quentin Tarantino's.  So I've kind of been raving about this movie...weird, I know. The other half of this blog hates "Kill Bill" and that's fine because all sorts of people hate all sorts of movies for various reasons.  I really enjoyed "Kill Bill," the acting, directing, script, music (I forgot to mention this before, but the music is phenomenal), everything was extremely well done.  However, I will, for the remainder of my life stick with this statement...and feel free to quote me on it..."Quentin Tarantino will never be able to top "Pulp Fiction"...ever...in his entire career."  So basically the main idea is that I think Quentin Tarantino is a great film writer-director...of course looking at him one would assume that he is completely full of himself...but whatever.  Start with "Pulp Fiction" and if you enjoy that then check out some of his other work and I think most people would highly enjoy it.


By the way, sorry that that was a massive paragraph...I use quick reviews as an opportunity to make no effort to separate into paragraphs or organize my words...kind of a stream of consciousness kind of thing going on here.


-Joseph Sbrilli


Alternate Review:


I hate "Kill Bill," so very very much. It was the equivalent of flossing with barbedwire whilst dropping fire ants down my pants.


-Christopher O'Connell

No comments:

Post a Comment