Monday, March 1, 2010

Cop Out

If you look at RottenTomatoes or IMDb or any site that piles reviews together like a giant fruit salad of film critique, you may have come to the conclusion that "Cop Out" isn't worth your time, money, or mental capacity.


This is where you and I completely disagree.


Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan star as detectives Jimmy Monroe and Paul Hodges in Kevin Smith's latest directorial outing. The plot is about as confusing as it gets. Both Monroe and Hodges get suspended for being bad cops, Monroe needs to pay for his daughter's wedding with an old baseball card that gets stolen and eventually they get involved with drug-dealing Mexicans trying to get the card back. Okay, maybe this movie's plot isn't worth your mental capacity.


The words 'ridiculous' and 'utterly confusing' came to mind after I read that last paragraph. It's true, I admit it, and it probably has to do with the fact that Kevin Smith didn't write the script but instead just directed it.


I took a cue from Bruce Willis at the beginning of the film. He has the same look in the movie poster above. Look at that smirk, he knows this movie is going to be stupid, he knows that it's not going to go down as cinematic greatness, but he also knows he shouldn't take it too seriously and neither should you. I know I didn't.


I laughed from start to finish. As soon as I decided to not take this movie seriously, I spent the rest of the time focusing on the dialogue and delivery. All the dialogue is amazingly funny and had me in stitches. Tracy Morgan is by far the star of the film, pumping out line after line. Seann William Scott also has an incredibly funny role and Bruce Willis obviously had a great time making this movie.


I had a great time watching "Cop Out." It was definitely worth the matinee. If you can only take movies seriously skip this one, but if you love "30 Rock" give it a go. You won't be disappointed.


3 out of 4 stars

-Christopher O'Connell

No comments:

Post a Comment