Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Ghost Writer

DISCLAIMER: I hate Roman Polanski (the man).  He is a rapist and should have been in jail for several years, but, being a coward, he skipped out of the country for three decades.  And that is why all his movies since then have been filmed outside of the United States.  However I can't deny that the man directs great movies.  I've actually only seen "The Ghost Writer" and "Chinatown," but I have heard great things about "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Pianist."


"The Ghost Writer," was indeed directed by Roman Polanski, as was previously stated and semi-ranted about.  It stars Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Kim Cattrall, and Olivia Williams.  The movie is based off the book "The Ghost" by Robert Harris.


Ewan McGregor plays "the Ghost."  He becomes the one to ghost-write the memoirs of former prime minister, Adam Lang (Pierce Brosnan).  The first ghost writer died under mysterious circumstances.  It also appears that Lang is accused of being involved with war crimes (like members of the CIA torturing alleged terrorists.)  Kim Cattrall plays Amelia, Adam Lang's assistant and mistress and Olivia Williams plays his wife, Ruth.  There's much more to the plot.  That's just an overview.  I don't want to spoil anything for people...like Wikipedia is so exceptional at doing.


Ewan McGregor...I hadn't seen him in much before this.  I saw him in the "Star Wars" prequel trilogy...where a certain CGI-obsessed man named George Lucas decided to destroy his classic franchise.  Then last year I saw him in "The Men Who Stare at Goats"...in case anyone was wondering.  "The Ghost Writer" completely relies on his performance.  He is in just about every scene in the movie and interacts with pretty much every other cast member.  And he's great. Every conversation that he has, especially with Pierce Brosnan and Olivia Williams, feels natural.  I'm not a fan of Pierce Brosnan...at all...I find him incredibly annoying...but he wasn't bad at all in "The Ghost Writer."  Of course only being in a handful of scenes probably helped. So yeah...don't not see this movie just because he's in it...although he is great reason to avoid "Mamma Mia!"  The rest of the cast is great, too, but Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan are the main actors so I figured I would single them out.


The score!  It's really great.  A thriller is pretty much nothing without a great score.  The score can add to a movie or make it horrendous...like "Carrie" - worst score ever. Well anyways, it adds to the intensity of the movie and it just seems to build as the audience (and Mr. McGregor and company) find out key information as the plot unfolds.  I'm also relatively certain that mostly stringed instruments were used...nice move on whoever's part.  Without out it the movie would definitely be missing something.


Visually the movie is pretty simple.  There's no crazy camera movements or quick edits or anything going on here...which is not a bad thing...since impressive cinematography and editing doesn't make a great movie...it merely helps.


The movie felt like it moved a little slow at times.  Especially at the beginning.  Towards the end things start happening really fast.  Either that or my 4 hours of sleep renders me completely incapable of keeping up with a political thriller...which is sad...and hopefully when I rent this on DVD I will understand everything...eh...I can hope.  Also, a scene toward the end (that I won't spoil) was a strange combination of really interesting and slightly forced and unlikely.


As an aside, it's nice watching a movie where there's actually an intelligible plot and dialogue and not just tons of horrible CGI or hundreds of really extended actions scenes...which generally speaking - unless you're "The Dark Knight " or something - means you are just too lazy to write a good movie.


I was impressed.  It's only March and already I have seen 2 great movies in theaters...and both of them thrillers, which just makes things a little bit better.  I personally peferred "Shutter Island" to this because it's psychological and Martin Scorsese...two legitmate reasons.  However, Roman Polanski cranked out an overall great movie.  Great performances by the actors and engaging just about the entire time.  I would recommend this to people...I personally think it would be worth your money...if you're going to go the movies you might as well have a great experience.  3 1/2 out of 4 stars.


-Joseph Sbrilli

No comments:

Post a Comment