Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Men In Black 3

There is one thing you should know about me: I love Will Smith. I will watch anything he is in and will always tell you how good of an actor he is even if you didn't ask. The first Men In Black was awesome but I remember being so pants-crappingly terrified of the cockroach alien that I didn't even know what it even looked like until I was ten because I refused to lower my hands. The second Men In Black was awesome until I grew up and realized it was crap and my movie taste hadn't fully developed. I still enjoy it because again, I love Will Smith.

So when I say I liked Men In Black 3, its probably because I am a little bit biased. Will Smith makes me laugh and the odd combo of buddy cop movie with an alien premise always intrigues me enough to buy a ticket.

Agent J (Will Smith) and Agent K(Tommy Lee Jones) are back doing what they do best. But it wouldn't be a movie unless something exciting happened. A dangerous alien criminal known as Boris the Animal (Jemaine Clement) breaks out of a prison on the moon that was built specifically to house him. He is pissed because he has been there for like 40 years after Agent K put him there. Instead of just killing him, he uses a time jump to go back in time to kill Agent K before he can lock him away and knock off one of his arms. Technically he succeeds because Agent K all of a sudden disappears from the future. Agent J finds his own time jump and goes back in time to work with young Agent K (Josh Brolin) to stop Boris.

Obviously the big gimmick in the film is that Will Smith gets to run around with a young Tommy Lee Jones. Josh Brolin nails it. He nails it so good it's uncanny. Half the time it feels like it really is just a young Tommy Lee Jones. He smiles a little too much but otherwise it is a perfect acting job.

And thank god it is there because otherwise MIB 3 would be as bad as MIB 2. It starts off with a "let's see how many jokes Will Smith can make about how unemotional and old Tommy Lee Jones is." And it only really gets exciting when they finally go back in time.

There's also some fun in the retro technology that the men in black use. And although racism shouldn't be funny, a hilarious encounter between Will Smith and some bigoted policemen was comedy gold. Unfortunately for the audience, but fortunately for me, no one seemed to know who Jemaine Clement is. Every time he talked I laughed. I looked around seeing if anyone else was laughing. Nothing. Not many Flight of the Conchords fans around I guess.

Anyway, it's a Men In Black film. You expect anything more? You did? Well screw you man. Go enjoy a slightly brainless movie with the only reason you watched the other movies in the first place: Will Smith. And this time Josh Brolin. And Bill Hader as Andy Warhol. Ha, hilarious.

2 and a half out of 4 stars

-Christopher O'Connell

No comments:

Post a Comment