Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Father of the Bride: A Quick Review

Father of the Bride stars Steve Martin, Diane Keaton, and several other people that I don't care to mention.  I'm assuming the majority of people saw this movie long before I did and thus know the plot well, so I will just give the synopsis in a run-on sentence.  George and Nina Banks' (Martin and Keaton) daughter, Annie is getting married and Nina is happy for her, but it takes George a little bit longer to get to this point, since he feels like he's losing his daughter forever (which he sort of is), but of course this leads to comedy galore, and naturally a sequel, which I haven't seen yet.  I really like Steve Martin and Diane Keaton.  They are talented and funny and worked well as a married couple.  Unfortunately, watching many of their movies from the past several years should be considered a punishment, because they are usually travesties like Cheaper by the Dozen, which literally still gives me nightmares and terrible images that will never leave my mind.  Anyways, 20 years ago these two were still great.  Overall, the movie was funny I thought.  I was glad there wasn't really any dumb humor, where they are either trying to hard, being gross, or merely being horrible in place of being funny.  Father of the Bride had some good comedy from Steven Martin, since that is his job, including hilarious facial expressions/reactions to his daughter's quick engagement and the wedding planning, which nicely culminates with him going crazy in a supermarket, trying to avoid paying for hot dog buns he won't use.  Then you have some flamboyant wedding decorators that are always good for laughs...Finally, the music in the film was well done and I loved having the majority of the movie be a flashback.  An introduction and some narration by Steve Martin's character suited the film well.  Basically, likable, talented cast, led to a funny and charming movie that doesn't try to hard to get laughs.

-Joseph Sbrilli

No comments:

Post a Comment