Monday, January 3, 2011

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: A Quick Review

Honestly, when I first saw the trailer for this movie I was prepared to hate on it like it was going out of style. I made fun of the style, I made fun of Michael Cera for being typecast into oblivion, and I made fun of Edgar Wright for taking on a project of immense stupidity. So, obviously I was overjoyed when Scott Pilgrim made about 3 dollars at the box office. "Ha!" I mused, "Now Hollywood won't try to put this sort of crap in the way of my eyeballs anymore," all while calmly sipping tea and acting better than everyone else. And sadly, this is the truth.

Hollywood probably won't try this again and that's a total bummer because Scott Pilgrim is pretty funny and kind of enjoyable to say the least. Edgar Wright's past movies (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) were incredible examples of film making and Wright uses a lot of his best techniques in Scott Pilgrim. His style is quick and usually requires multiple viewings to grab every joke. I probably missed about half of the jokes in Scott Pilgrim because there are just so many in there. Many of them had me laughing out loud for real, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's still not a great film. It's hard to get through because after the first few fights the movie drags on. By the last villain the audience is just hoping it will end. Thankfully Michael Cera is a fresh breath of air and is only slightly typecast. His coming timing is really well done actually. I wish fan boys would swoon over this movie instead of Kick-Ass because I am so tired of hearing how that is the best movie ever. Take a peak if you like Edgar Wright and can handle the most ADD film on the planet and maybe turn on the subtitles to try to catch all of the dialogue.

-Christopher O'Connell

No comments:

Post a Comment