Friday, January 28, 2011

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I know this review has taken a long time from its viewing to its reviewing but I started a new college and the movie wasn't that good. I'll also keep it short because I don't want to waste your time like this movie wasted mine.

Where has the magic gone? The Chronicles of Narnia are about wonder, adventure, magic and growing up. Sadly, the latest entry into this failing franchise does the absolute worst so far.

The whole plot is a muddled mess, devolving into some kind of World of Warcraftesque quest. Go here, find out what's wrong, defeat evil smoke, live happily ever after. It has been a while since I read the books but I remember a pretty awesome adventure with unique islands and situations. There are some deep themes that the film addresses but I chalk that up to the genuis of C.S. Lewis showing through any adaptation of his work.

Visually, like it has in the past, the Dawn Treader succeeds. But at this point that's a feature that I expect rather than praise. And it can't save the movie from its actors. Lucy and Edmond have finally grown up...into terrible actors. Well at least Lucy has. Edmond does his best but Lucy just takes the fruit cake of Christmas disaster. I should find out if she got nominated for a Razzie. The newcomer here is Lucy and Edmonds bumbling spoiled cousin Eustace (Who I imagined as a much more portly child). Eustace may have been given some of the only funny lines in the movie but his general lack of acting ability drags by the end of the film. Especially after watching his totally not gay cryfest with Reepicheep.

The point is, I didn't enjoy it. My younger self probably wouldn't enjoy it. And I doubt my mom would think it's a good film. Failed executions at every turn, this is one rushed Chronicle that should be sent back to the storyboard.

1 out of 4 stars

-Christopher O'Connell

No comments:

Post a Comment