Friday, July 6, 2012

Prometheus: Quick Review

First and foremost, the other, slightly taller half of this nice little blog has forced me to review this movie.  I did in fact enjoy it, but will have a heck of a time explaining why because I do not understand science fiction or most Ridley Scott films, except possibly Gladiator and Blade Runner.

Prometheus is supposed to be a prequel to his classic film Alien, which spawned 42 sequels that I have yet to see.  Yes, Sigourney Weaver is indeed that tough.  Scott's latest film stars Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, and Guy Pearce.

What I gather from IMDB and my terrible memory is that Prometheus was the name of the ship that these characters are on, Michael Fassbender plays a robot, Noomi Rapace gives birth to an alien octopus creature after having unprotected relations with someone whom she should not have, Charlize Theron is quite attractive, and the crew members are trying to find out about the origins of the human race, or I'm assuming there will be even more peril than the movie already had.  If you want a better plot synopsis, or an actual plot synopsis, then type Wikipedia into your computer right now, because I kid you not I was both visually dazzled and mentally confused.

I've heard that some people did not want to see this movie because it was going to be scary.  These people are confusing science fiction with horror. Horror is the scary genre.  Science fiction is the genre with aliens popping out of stomachs, Sigourney Weaver being ballsy, and William Shatner in skin tight attire.

Actually, there is a gross, disturbing scene that I found memorable.  Noomi Rapace's character, Elizabeth Shaw (the impregnated one) must give herself a Caesarean section (C-section, medically speaking).  Actually, a machine does it for her.  There's lasers, blood, and everything (all in a very confined pod-like structure).  I think the idea is that if you have an alien creature in your womb, you will most likely die unless it is removed.

From a visual standpoint the movie is impressive.  There are plently of lovely outside shots, or space shots if you prefer that.  Since this is 2012, and Wikipedia told me, there are thousands of shots that include digital effects.  But, they didn't look fake and stupid, like say Transformers, Michael Bay...

That's really all I've got.  Likable cast, great visuals, intense music, aliens, and plenty of action.

Also, there will at least be one sequel...because Ridley Scott needs money and Noomi Rapace is almost as tough as Sigourney...and she will not be killed easily.

2 out of 4 stars...that's what I always give movies I don't completely understand.

-Joseph Sbrilli


No comments:

Post a Comment