Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Crazies: A Quick Review

"The Crazies" is a horror movie, directed by Breck Eisner. I have not seen any of his other movies, or heard of him until this movie, so i cannot comment extensively, or at all, on him. This is a remake of the 1973 film of the same name, which I have not seen so I am unable to compare the two.  The plot is relatively simple: It takes place in a little town in Iowa where all hell breaks loose when the water supply becomes contaminated by something.  This naturally causes many of the townsfolk to become demented, zombie- like killers.  The main focus of the movie is the sheriff of the town and his wife as the try to escape from the insanity around them.  I would be happy to list the cast for the movie, but let's be realistic here, if you are as unfamiliar with Breck Eisner as I was, you will be even less familiar with the cast.  It is more or less completely unknowns.  They do a nice job though and massive star power would have felt out of place in this comparatively low budget affair.  The movie was nicely shot with some great wide and aerial shots of the town.  It was also well paced and I would assume that the short running time will hold the interest of the average movie renter.  Of course if you don't like horror movies, then avoid this like the plague like you have been doing.  The movie certainly is bloody and violent, but I felt like it was much more toned down than other movies that are made these days, which is nice.  Tons of blood, believe it or not does not make a movie any better, just grosser and occasionally even annoying.  So granted I probably would have enjoyed this movie more if I wasn't so unbelievably tired, but it was certainly entertaining and at the very least I would assume worth the dollar to rent.

-Joseph Sbrilli

No comments:

Post a Comment