Friday, July 9, 2010

Knight and Day

"Knight and Day" is directed by James Mangold.  It stars Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz.  There are of course more people in the movie, but I'm assuming that 99% percent of the people who watch this movie  are watching it for them...I happen to fall into that 1%...in case anyone was wondering.

June Havens (Cameron Diaz) used to live a normal life, restoring old cars and such.  That all changes one day when she ends up on a plane with Roy Miller (Tom Cruise).  As it turns out he's a spy who's in charge of protecting some new technology that happens to be a incredibly powerful battery.  This of course requires traveling around the entire world to keep it from the opposition and taking June Havens along for the ride because they quite obviously need to develop feelings for each other at some point.

Firstly, it seems like an awful lot of trouble just for a battery.  An awful lot of people had to die as a result of it.  But, in their defense rumor has it that it could provide energy for an entire city and that it would never lose it's power...or something to that effect.

I normally am pretty indifferent to Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz.  I mainly don't like Tom Cruise because I happen to hate "Top Gun" and will never ever finish watching it.  However, he is a good actor and I have enjoyed some of his performances.  It seems like he's at his best in an action movie.  It's one of those things that is just meant to be I guess.  He's quite at home with all the car chases, gunfire, and globetrotting.  Along with the intense action throughout "Knight and Day", he also has some instances of great dark comedy.  Who knew that killing an entire plane full of people while Cameron Diaz was in the bathroom and then explaining it to her could actually be funny.  He has great chemistry with Cameron Diaz as well.  Although their entire relationship was just incredibly messed up and moved way to quickly in just a matter of weeks.  As far as Cameron Diaz's performance I'm going to have to say that a scene involving her under the influence of a truth serum was quite hilarious.  And Tom Cruise giving her pills throughout the movie to knock her out is in fact funny.

My main reason for seeing this movie was because James Mangold directed it.  I really enjoyed, "Girl, Interupted", "Identity", "Walk the Line", and "3:10 to Yuma," so I was curious about his latest endeavor.  Of the five films of his that I have seen, "Knight and Day" is my least favorite.  It's not to say that it was a terrible movie, because it wasn't and was much better than I thought it would be based on some reviews I had seen.  The cinematography was extremely visually appealing and most every frame was well composed and had a lot of depth to it.  However, the ending of the movie felt confused and rushed.  June and Roy apparently were able to flee to approximately 87 different countries over the course of a couple weeks.  That's just really impressive that they covered so much ground so rapidly.  It got tiring after a while and the last half of the movie seemed to drag a bit.

Well this review is horribly organized, but I thought the music score could have been better. Sometimes it fit the intensity of the action well and other times it felt cheesy and uncomfortable...actually that's probably the wrong word to describe it, but it's getting late so I'll stick with it.  There were probably a lot of other issues with the movie that I can't remember at the moment, but I saw it for free and was in a really good mood at the time so I'm probably subconsciously trying not to think about it.

Overall it was a nice mix of action and romantic comedy.  Each of those elements, mainly the action which was pretty intense the entire time made for a fun, entertaining summer movie experience.  It's definitely won't be getting nominated for any awards and hasn't exactly been a box office success, but this summer has been pretty horrendous for movies...so come on...this is at least better than "Sex and the City 2" and "Killers"...let's be realistic about this...I'm sorry but a 9 hour movie where the "girls" go running off to the Middle East to ride camels and wear expensive clothes just seemed like a bad idea from the start...but maybe that's just me...well anyway...I would like to apologize that this review was so awful. I am senile and found out that I have quite a small vocabulary and should probably work on that.  Basically, if you thought the trailer looked fun, then see the movie...of course as cheaply as you possibly can because saving money is always a great thing. 2 1/2 out of 4 stars...I guess... my whole star rating thing has gotten really screwed up.

-Joseph Sbrilli

No comments:

Post a Comment